Home

Home
return to our homepage

Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Gerhard Richter at Marian Goodman

I finally made it to MG for the Gerhard Richter show, which just closed Saturday.

The show was fantastic, even though I only stayed for 15 minutes. I am not familiar with Richter's work and from the images I saw I was expecting a collection of banal prints. However, I was blown away by the beauty and detail in what often appear at first as simplistic, one-tone canvases. There were also very complex works, where vivid colors bleed into one another. My favorites were actually the most simple, which caused the viewer to pay close attention to the unique color of the prints, such as sea green and lavender in these two prints:





The show was fairly well curated, although I did have significant issues with the fact that in this large space there were more then 7 employees visible and a fairly crowded gallery, for 1pm on a Thursday, yet the main woman behind the desk was eating a rather funky smelling lunch - not the image I want in a stark white gallery with millions of dollars of work on the walls.

Other great prints included this installation, prints between two pieces of glass hung together, as a friend reflected,  looking almost like DNA code or some other genetic make-up -


The complex or detailed canvases that looked almost destroyed by a fire or from age were the most beautiful up close. Only there could one see the details and layers Richter implemented -


The above picture does not do the work justice, neither do any of the pictures. Wish I could have made it back for a second glance.

For more info on Richter can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment