Home

Home
return to our homepage

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sculpture Center, LIC

A Voyage of Growth and Discovery  

http://sculpture-center.org/exhibitionsExhibition.htm?id=60144 

With 30 minutes to spare on Sunday night, I rushed to the Sculpture Center to see Mike Kelley and Michael Smith's video/sculpture installation in the main space as well as In Practice Fall '09 . I didn't have time to stay and absorb the video, which showed Kelley's Baby IKKI at Burning Man. But I was pleasantly surprised to see it was Kelley, who I've been seeing a lot more of and therefore trying to learn more about.  This exhibit, however, left me questioning what the hell was going on as the massive interactive sculpture - including steel, stuffed animals as well as the huge screens on which the video was shown - did fill the overpowering space that is the main floor of Sculpture Center. I felt dissapointed and left wanting more. It wasn't until after I left that I realized how well executed the project was, with its architectural references and Burning Man-mock aesthetic. It closed on Sunday, which is why I rushed there, wish I had more time to see more of the (2.5 hour) film and also to embrace both the drug-induced and playground-like atmosphere of the space. 


When I wondered downstairs (one of the best gallery spaces in all of New York), I found the show on this floor, In Practice Projects, also underwhelming. The only exception was Jason Kraus, who used his piece, "Making a Mold", not only to reference the industrial history of the space but also surprised the viewer with sculpture, noise and video. Seems hard to find any info on Kraus except for this info from a galley in LA.


In hindsight, I am glad I ran in, but sad I did not have more time to experience the Kelley/Smith piece and to spend more time on the lower level. 


Next on the LIC scene is Dean Project's Opening and Holiday Party December 12th - more info can be found here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment